Our electric system consists of the distribution and sale of retail electric service to approximately 11,000 customers, including all properties within city limits as well as unincorporated areas in Kershaw, Lee and Sumter counties. Consisting of approximately 650 miles of electric lines, our electric service also includes three electrical substations which are connected by fiber optic cable. The city maintains both overhead and underground electric infrastructure. An on-call truck provides 24-hour service to our customers. If you need assistance with your electric service, call 803-432-2421.
As a public provider, we strive to keep our rates as low as possible. The money we receive each month from residential, commercial and industrial electric customers is primarily used to purchase wholesale power and to maintain and expand our electric infrastructure.
FY 2024 Rate Schedule rev. 7/1/2023
New Residential Utility Accounts
To set up a new account, visit the Finance Department at City Hall, 1000 Lyttleton Street, Monday to Friday from 8:15 am to 5 pm.
- The cost to set up a new residential account is $25. Proof of ownership is required at the time of set up.
- If you are renting, a refundable $300 deposit will be required when you set up your account. A copy of the lease or rental agreement is required upon set up.
- Each new customer shall be required to complete a customer contract.
- Please be prepared to provide a phone number for the account-named person, proper identification, and proof of ownership (lease, HUD statement or deed).
- You will need two (2) forms of identification for each adult that will be living at the residence:
- Must have a photo ID:
- Drivers license,
- Passport, or
- State issued photo ID card
- The second form of identification can be one of the following:
- Social Security Card,
- Any legal or government ID such as a tax return, Medicare/Medicaid card,
- Current paycheck stub, or
- Employment ID card or badge (can only be used as 1 form of identification)
New Commercial Utility Accounts
Applications for commercial accounts must be made in person at City Hall. A deposit will also be required for any commercial account, and will vary depending upon prior billing history of the commercial location. Requirements for identification are the same as residential accounts. Commercial accounts are also required to complete an electric load profile questionnaire. Application for a business license must also occur at this time. Please contact the Finance Department at 803-432-2421 with any questions.
Having difficulty paying your bill? Visit our Billing and Payments page for a list of payment options and resources.
Interconnecting Small Generation
Live in Camden? Want to connect with and operate in parallel to the City’s electrical system using your own generator? Download the documents below to get started.
Interconnection Check List (link to doc 2016! Need to update?)
Net Metering Rider (same)
Please email all documents to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Integrated Resource Plan
Explore the Integrated Resource Plan for Camden’s city-owned electric distribution utility.