Regulations & Requirements

Business Friendliness. Camden, SC

There’s a lot that goes into starting and running a business and you have a lot on your mind already. Camden’s business team has put together all the regulations, requirements, licenses and forms in one simple place, so you can spend less time with paperwork and more time growing.

What’s Required

Individuals or businesses seeking to do business in the City of Camden need to ensure compliance with a number of local, state and federal requirements. To better assist you, the Camden Business Team has provided an overview of the pertinent requirements for doing business here.

Federal/State Registrations

All businesses operating in the City of Camden are required to be registered with the appropriate state and federal agencies and approved for doing business.  The best place to ensure your business is registered and compliant is SC One Stop.

Get Started →

Business License/Occupancy Permit

Persons engaged or intending to engage in any calling, business, occupation or profession within the limits of the City of Camden is required to obtain a Camden Business License. Business Licenses are valid from May 1 to April 30 and must be renewed each year.  Learn more here. In addition, Occupancy permits are required for any new business and the relocation of any existing business and should be submitted alongside your Electric service, Water service and Business License application. Both can be found under Helpful Forms below.

Business License →

Occupancy Permit →

Design Standards and Permitting

Therefore, commercial buildings have defined design standards, and certain commercial districts, such as the downtown core district, have more restrictive guidelines. Determine if your business must meet certain requirements when it comes to windows, awnings, paint colors and more.

Know the design standards →

Sign Requirements and Permits

The City of Camden has regulations for signage, which are designed to protect public safety and ensure the maintenance of an attractive physical environment, while also satisfying the needs of business owners for adequate identification, communication and advertising. Businesses must have a permit for any permanent signs on their buildings or temporary signs in the public right of way. The City’s Planning & Development office can help you determine your building’s sign requirements and issue a permit for signage.

Learn the regulations →

Apply for a Building Sign →

Sidewalk Cafes, Signs, and Other Items

The City of Camden encourages outside dining and the use of beautification items displayed in front of stores, such as planters and benches. However, sidewalks are public property and the city must also provide for the safety of pedestrians. Business owners are responsible to know and follow the encroachment requirements, and apply for necessary permits.

Apply for an Outdoor Cafe Permit →

Apply for a Sidewalk Encroachment Permit (Benches/Planters) →

Apply for a Sidewalk Sign Permit →

Single Use Plastic Bag Ordinance

In an effort to protect the local environment and lessen the economic and environmental costs of managing waste, businesses operating within Camden city limits should not provide single-use plastic carryout bags to customers. Businesses may provide reusable bags made of paper, cloth or a durable plastic bag with handles that is at least 2.25 mil thick recyclable plastic and designed for multiple reuse, or encourage customers to bring their own reusable bags.

Read the complete ordinance →

Information For Business Owners →

Helpful Business Forms

Looking for all the forms you need? We’ve provided an easy way for businesses to access all the forms required to get and stay compliant in the City of Camden. For all applications and additional information, please contact the Finance Department at (803) 432-2421.

Need Some Help?

Can’t find what you’re looking for? Need more info? Want a helping hand as you delve into our requirements?
Contact Planning & Development today.

Planning & Development

Shawn Putnam
803-432-2421 x1108

Finance Department

Stephanie Bowers
Business License Specialist

Economic Development

Kat Spadacenta
Community Development Coordinator
803-432-2421 x1153